Introducing VIA Rail
VIA Rail’s flagship ‘The Canadian’ is the classic transcontinental train, immaculately restored to its original 1950s Art Deco stainless steel glory. Your comfortable private cabin transforms from a private armchair viewing area during the day to cosy sleeping quarters, with thick towels,plump pillows and sumptuous duvets, in the evening. And with year-round departures,guests can take in the spectacular fall colours or the dramatic winter snowscapes of the Rockies and beyond.
Your journey aboard VIA Rail’s ‘The Canadian’provides:
- Accommodation in upper or lower berths -during the day, one wide couch-style seat facing another seat, at night these fold out into a bed,with heavy curtains for privacy.
- Private cabins may be booked but these are on request and subject to availability. Please contact us to enquire. Facilities include a small closet,hand basin and separate toilet. By day the room has two armchairs and by night the room will be transformed for you into a cosy bedroom with two beds, one upper and one lower bed.
- Each sleeping car has public washroom and shower facilities. A personal shower kit will be provided. You may also require something to wear between your berth and showers, located in each car.
- Exclusive access to the Park Car - where you can take in the 360-degree views in the upper observation deck, or settle into one of two stylish lounges.
- The elegant, yet not pretentious, Dining Car,serving delicious, freshly-prepared meals served on china, with silverware and linen.
- Access to the Skyline Car where you can socialise with your fellow passengers in the café or lounge,or view landscapes from the panoramic section.
- Smoking is not permitted on board the train at any time. If you wish to smoke you may only doso when the train stops, in designated areas on station platforms.
- Passengers are able to get off the train and stretch their legs at any station where there is a lengthy stop, e.g. Winnipeg or Edmonton. For the remainder of your day, you are free to relax and settle in, to enjoy the observation lounges,have lunch or retire to your berth.
- The step, onto the train, may be difficult for some clients, and therefore if you require assistance with boarding or alighting, please advise your tour manager in plenty of time. VIA Rail require a minimum of 48 hours’ notice to action any special requests.
- There are many remote communities, who are dependent upon Canada’s rail system.Consequently, freight services carrying supplies have priority on the lines, which can result in occasional delays
Climate, Clothing and Essential Items:
The Canadians are relaxed in their attire and therefore comfortable travelling clothes will be required for the duration of your journey. A basic wardrobe can include jumpers, a light topcoat or raincoat and lighter layers for the summer months.Dress on board the train is casual, and for evening dinner in the Dining Car, dress is tasteful, informal wear. It is recommended that sturdy, comfortable shoes are worn, and whilst on board the train it is advisable to wear only flat-soled shoes.Your accommodation offers very limited storage space. Carrying large suitcases to your cabin or berth may limit movement and risk injury. We recommend only bringing the clothing you will need for the train trip and your personal essentials (including all medication) to your cabin or berth. All other luggage will be checked onto the train with no access available for the duration of your journey.
Food and Drink:
All meals are included on board, but additional snacks and beverages, purchased from onboard takeout facilities, are not included and are to be paid for individually. Cash, traveller’s cheques and all major credit cards are accepted onboard the train.Your location on the train will determine where you eat your meals. The service attendant will advise you when you board the train.Reservations will be taken for lunch and dinner on board the train. Breakfast is operated on a first-come, first-served basis. Should you have special dietary requirements, please advise your Tour Manager at your earliest convenience, in order that arrangements can be made on your behalf.
Meals are generally served at the following times:
- Breakfast: between 6.30am to 10.00am
- Lunch: 11.00am, 12.30pm or 2.30pm
- Dinner: 5.00pm, 7.00pm or 9.00pm
*The laws of the province, through which the train is passing, govern alcohol consumption.You may not consume personal alcohol on trains, except in enclosed sleeping spaces.
Why choose a Titan Travel tour or cruise?
Our award-winning collection of holidays covers all seven continents, with carefully planned itineraries ranging from rail journeys and river cruises, to small-group adventures and trips exclusively for solo travellers
Our promise that we will ensure your holiday is safe and secure
VIP Travel Service on every holiday
Smooth transfers to and from home with unlimited mileage
98% would book again
Holiday reviews and ratings from verified Titan travellers
Early Bird Price Promise
Early bookers will never pay more than last-minute bookers